Bat Removal Process and Facts
Call Now For Help! (321) 423-2713
Bat Removal Facts:
Brevard and Indian River County are home to thirteen (13) species of bats that are either year round, or seasonal residents. All thirteen species of Florida bats are insectivorous (meaning they eat mosquitoes and other insects). Bat removal is a large task due to the amount of bats in Florida.
Some bats form colonies and some roost alone. There are also seven species of bats that have, on occasion, been found in Florida but they do not normally live here. These are referred to as accidental species. Three are from more northern climates and also eat insects. Four are from more tropical regions and feed on nectar, pollen and fruit. The latter have only been found in south Florida and the Florida Keys..
Bats are a valuable part of the ecosystem
While bats can be a huge problem, and bat removal is necessary for many people. Bats can help tremendously in mosquito control. Each bat can eat as many as 6,000 mosquitoes per night! So many people choose to install a bat box in their yard to help with mosquito control. However installation of a bat box does not guarantee that bats will roost in it. There are many things that need to be taken into account when installing it, such as height, surrounding trees, temperature, and design quality of box.
Bats Nuisances & Damage:
While Bats provide an invaluable asset to mosquito control, and for the most part they are very helpful to the environment. You definitely do not want bats nesting in your home. More that 1 out of every 20 bats, on average, carries the rabies virus, and 90% of all rabies reported in humans each year originate from contact with bats. (source: CDC)Bats teeth are so small that you can be bitten and not even feel it, most cases of people being bitten from bats, are in their own home while asleep. (see previous link from the CDC)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do Bats Bite? Absolutely
- I heard MOST bats carry rabies, is this true? No, MOST bats do not carry rabies, however about 6% are infected. This means that you might have a bat roost (nest) in your attic/awning with an average of 150 bats, statistically speaking you have 9-10 rabid bats in your house.
- Why was “Ace Ventura” so scared of bat guano in the movie? I love getting this question. The answer is because bat guano (feces), carries some very nasty things including Histoplasmosis, Its symptoms vary greatly, but the disease primarily affects the lungs. Occasionally, other organs are affected. When this happens it can be fatal if untreated. (Read about it here from the Center for Disease Control, and here on our blog)
- I don’t know what to look for on my house for bats, what are the signs? Finding out that you have bats is usually a surprise until you see them leaving your house at dusk, a large amount of two story homes have bats, as they typically nest at heights above 15 ft (to help avoid predators). When we go out to inspect a house for bat removal, we look for their guano (feces). Here is an example of a home that we went out to, that believe it or not, the homeowner never noticed all the bat feces, they just started hearing noises in their attic. In this particular home, bats were entering through that small hole in the corner where the soffit meets the shingles and stucco wall. We were able to seal the home and do the bat removal successfully.
- How do you keep bats out of a house? We provide guaranteed bat proofing and exclusion services to ensure bats can not reenter the home once they have been removed.
Some Of The Areas We Provide Bat Removal and Exclusion Services:
- Alafaya FL Bat Removal
- Brevard County FL Bat Control
- Cape Canaveral FL Bat Removal
- Cocoa Beach FL Bat Control
- Cocoa FL Bat Removal
- East Orlando FL Bat Control
- Melbourne FL Bat Removal
- Merritt Island FL Bat Control
- Oviedo FL Bat Removal
- Palm Bay FL Bat Control
- Port St John, FL Bat Removal
- Rockledge FL Bat Control
- Sebastian, FL Bat Removal
- Suntree FL Bat Control
- Titusville, FL Bat Removal
- Vero Beach FL Bat Control
- Vero, FL Bat Removal
- Viera, FL Bat Control
- Waterford Lakes FL Bat Removal
- Satellite Beach, FL Bat Control
- Indian Harbour Beach, FL